Monday 27 June 2016

What It Takes to get to the EURO's - Part 3



I've got all my attire in one bag. And everything else in a small black Adidas bag. Everything else yet very important!

The essentials I've called them. The things I absolutely cannot afford to lose possession of. That includes match tickets, boarding passes, John Giles: A Football Man, and my YBIG scarf to name a few! Some may be more crucial than others but piece of mind comes with having them on point. I've entrusted my hardback cover of Paul McGraths autobiography to keep the tickets safe!

The majority of my final preps have centered around putting music on my phone and clearing memory for the photos and videos that follow. Over the last two weeks I've carefully crafted a mix of Irish Football Songs, Rebel & Folk Songs, the best of Irish Rock and upbeat summer tunes. Its not been easy making a record of the previous 300 songs on my phone to only delete them to make room for 200 new ones! But it will be worth it. I estimate I will lose nearly a day and a half in total in transit to and across France. I'll need my wits about me and the music flowing through me.

Music is important to an Irish football fan. And no song could ever evoke the passion and delight ''Put Em' Under Pressure'' does for us. And there are numerous others like ''Joxer'' and 'The Game'. This tournaments effort, The Irish Roar is a solid effort. Its not one you can sing along to in the Champs-Elysee and given its performers Seo Linn could have put more Irish or emphasis on OrĂ² Se Do Bheath Abhaile in the song. Yet its catchy and ultimately its stayinp power will depend on how well we do in Euro 2016.

I lost about 4 days in Euro 2012. And I was limited to the confines of a campervan. This time I have been privy to an airport full of Irish fans at half 4 in the morning. I'm travelling solo while meeting up with people I know over in France. Its been heartening to see such numbers at a godly hour of the morning! It would be nice to travel along with a few others but even on a connecting flight to Poznan (which I'm on now) there are 5 other Irish fans!

It's also means I'm holding onto my bag for dear life. Losing these essentials would DESTROY everything I worked for. The saving. The April month of austerity. Foregoing trips to see Bruce Springsteen and Ireland vs. Belarus (although in hindsight its good that I missed out there). While I would stress that with careful planning and paying for the trip in installments, going to see your country play in a major tournament isn't ball breaking. However you have to be on top of your game and be prepared. In advance of the group stage draw, I know of one person who reserved 36 different hotels based on the draw Ireland could have possibly got.

I wasn't that pedantic. I've had a notebook and kept track of my plans throughout. Time has flown by to the extent I'm now on the first flight enroute to Paris writing this. The only thing I haven't done is the articles outlined. You just have to prioritize what needs to be done and do it. There was a rush Saturday morning which I wanted to avoid. Some things you can't avoid and luckily I'm used to last minute rushes. I got through Stansted Airport in 10 minutes to make a connecting flight. This was carrying a 10kg bag while I was at it.

For example, I need to figure out an alternative to paying 9 euro for a pint of Heineken before I even think of buying presents for loved ones at home. However, thats for another day.

I'm on my way!

COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEN

No comments:

Post a Comment